Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2003 22:48:04 -0500
From:      Rod Person <rod.person@verizon.net>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help setting up a home network with FreeBSD

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 20:53:30 +0000
Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org> wrote:

>So can the server talk to the Internet perfectly fine? Can the other >machines talk to the server?

No the other machines can not talk to the server. I even tried to ping the server by server name but nothing.

> Do you need to use NAT to connect the other machines or do Verizon give you
> multiple IPs. If you need NAT, you should simply be able to set
> gateway_enable="yes"
> natd_enable="yes"
> natd_interface="<name of external interface"
> natd_flags="-dynamic -deny_incoming"

Yes I was trying to use NAT. My natd_flags are different from yours. I try these.

> Then if your server is set us the default router for your other machines,
> everything should just work! You'll need to set-up the IPs of the other
> machines by hand and you'll also need to give the machines the IP of
> Verizon's DNS server. But you can begin to check that everything works by
> pinging around with IP addresses only.

This may be my problem here. I was trying to get DHCP to work. Not that I really wanted it but thought that I did. So if I hard code the addresses I may have better luck. I will give this a try

Thanks

Rod