Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2003 12:21:03 +0900
From:      horio shoichi <bugsgrief@bugsgrief.net>
To:        "Rommel B. Ikeda" <r_ikeda@oisca.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: host and hostname

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 17:30:50 +0900
"Rommel B. Ikeda" <r_ikeda@oisca.org> wrote:

> [...]
You are probably told about the nameservers given by DHCP reply packets.
O.k., they should work, too.

> I just received an Email from the Mailing List advicing me to create a
> /etc/resolv.conf...
> He was also kind enough to provide me our DNS...
> domain oisca.org
> nameserver 164.46.1.1
> nameserver 211.10.162.68
>
> I created a /etc/resolv.conf with this one as what you have suggested
> When my system starts:
> The booting process halts for a few minutes saying
> "continuing vi sessions:"
> and then boots and starts gdm...
> after gdm starts, I can log in but I can use my built-in mouse...
> after logging in...it halts for a few minutes before I can use my built-in
> mouse...

I think I forgot to tell you adding, deleting, changing /etc/resolv.conf
don't need reinitializing anything other than the file itself so you
don't have to reboot...

> when i invoked this command:
> # host freebsd.org
> halts for a few minutes to read and then...
> #host not found, try again
>
> Any suggestions on what happened...

Either you can't reach the nameservers or the servers refuse to answer.
The resolver (a library function that contacts name servers and maps
between domain names and ip addresses) thinks name services are unavailable.

Following tests are irrelevant to /etc/resolv.conf file, unless specifically
referenced.

1. servers really suck ?

   host freebsd.org 164.46.1.1
   host freebsd.org 211.10.162.68

   ask the servers directly. Worked for me, like:

	% host freebsd.org 164.46.1.1
	Using domain server 164.46.1.1:

	freebsd.org has address 216.136.204.21
	freebsd.org mail is handled (pri=10) by mx1.freebsd.org
	% host freebsd.org 211.10.162.68
	Using domain server 211.10.162.68:

	freebsd.org has address 216.136.204.21
	freebsd.org mail is handled (pri=10) by mx1.freebsd.org
	%

   Try them, and against the servers you are told.

   If they work as my example shows, then /etc/resolv.conf is wrong
   (not too sure, but the domain name may have to match the one from
   DHCP server).

2. talking to servers ?

   ping 164.46.1.1
   traceroute 164.46.1.1

   Two prime candidate reasons you have to come here are:

   o You don't have default route,
   o Firewall blocks direct outgoing,

   Anyway traceroute will tell you where you can get responces up to.

horio shoichi