Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:12:21 +0100
From:      Nikolaj Hansen <nikolaj.hansen@barnabas.dk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 and vinum upgrade #2

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 07:27:58PM -0500, Paul Mather wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 00:15 +0100, Matthias Schuendehuette wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 18. Dezember 2004 23:35 schrieb Paul Mather:
> > >
> > > The biggest problem you'll have is if your system suffers the ATA
> > > "TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA" woe that bedevils some of us under 5.3.  When
> > > that happens, your mirror will be knocked into a degraded state (half
> > > of your mirrored plexes will be marked down) even though the drive is
> > > okay. Unfortunately, without "setstate" being implemented in "gvinum"
> > > to mark the drive as up, thereby allowing you to issue "gvinum
> > > start"s for the "downed" plexes, there's little more you can do to
> > > get the "failed" drive recognised as being in the "up" state other
> > > than to reboot. [...]
> >
> > 'gvinum setstate' was MFCed from -current together with 'gvinum
> > checkpatity' and 'gvinum rebuildparity' a week ago or so...
> >
> > So that should make it easier to handle these ATA-Problems...
>
> That's great to hear!  (I'd been hoping for an MFC5.)  It's handy, too,
> as I just recently got another one of those "TIMEOUT - WRITE DMA"
> induced "failures," which was getting to be a real drag. :-(
>
> I'll update my 5.3-STABLE system right away...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.
> --
> e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu
>
> "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production
>  deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."
>         --- Frank Vincent Zappa

Hi again,

I gave the 5.3 upgrade another swing. Now the situation is:

$ uname -a
FreeBSD sauron.barnabas.dk 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Dec 18 18:39:09 CET 2004     root@sauron.barnabas.dk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNEL_5_3  i386

I think I am understanding a little more of this now. In order to use my scsi / ATA setup,
I need to use the geom_vinum.ko *and* the vinum.ko modules? At least this combo will let me manually
start the server again by loading the modules and mount the drives. The state of the output can be listed as such:

$ sudo vinum list
3 drives:
D elben                 State: up       /dev/da1s1h     A: 0/7825 MB (0%)
D donau                 State: up       /dev/da0s1h     A: 0/7825 MB (0%)
D spree                 State: up       /dev/ad4a       A: 3/114473 MB (0%)

5 volumes:
V var                   State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:        600 MB
V tmp                   State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:        600 MB
V home                  State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       1000 MB
V usr                   State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       5625 MB
V data01                State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:        111 GB

9 plexes:
P var.p0              C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        600 MB
P tmp.p0              C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        600 MB
P home.p0             C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       1000 MB
P usr.p0              C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       5625 MB
P var.p1              C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        600 MB
P tmp.p1              C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        600 MB
P home.p1             C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       1000 MB
P usr.p1              C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       5625 MB
P data01.p0           C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        111 GB

9 subdisks:
S var.p0.s0             State: up       D: donau        Size:        600 MB
S tmp.p0.s0             State: up       D: donau        Size:        600 MB
S home.p0.s0            State: up       D: donau        Size:       1000 MB
S usr.p0.s0             State: up       D: donau        Size:       5625 MB
S var.p1.s0             State: up       D: elben        Size:        600 MB
S tmp.p1.s0             State: up       D: elben        Size:        600 MB
S home.p1.s0            State: up       D: elben        Size:       1000 MB
S usr.p1.s0             State: up       D: elben        Size:       5625 MB
S data01.p0.s0          State: up       D: spree        Size:        111 GB

$ sudo gvinum list
3 drives:
D elben                 State: up       /dev/da1s1h     A: 0/7825 MB (0%)
D donau                 State: up       /dev/da0s1h     A: 0/7825 MB (0%)
D spree                 State: up       /dev/ad4a       A: 3/114473 MB (0%)

5 volumes:
V data01                State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:        111 GB
V usr                   State: down     Plexes:       2 Size:       5625 MB
V home                  State: down     Plexes:       2 Size:       1000 MB
V tmp                   State: down     Plexes:       2 Size:        600 MB
V var                   State: down     Plexes:       2 Size:        600 MB

9 plexes:
P data01.p0           C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        111 GB
P usr.p1              C State: down     Subdisks:     1 Size:       5625 MB
P home.p1             C State: down     Subdisks:     1 Size:       1000 MB
P tmp.p1              C State: down     Subdisks:     1 Size:        600 MB
P var.p1              C State: down     Subdisks:     1 Size:        600 MB
P usr.p0              C State: down     Subdisks:     1 Size:       5625 MB
P home.p0             C State: down     Subdisks:     1 Size:       1000 MB
P tmp.p0              C State: down     Subdisks:     1 Size:        600 MB
P var.p0              C State: down     Subdisks:     1 Size:        600 MB

9 subdisks:
S data01.p0.s0          State: up       D: spree        Size:        111 GB
S usr.p1.s0             State: stale    D: elben        Size:       5625 MB
S home.p1.s0            State: stale    D: elben        Size:       1000 MB
S tmp.p1.s0             State: stale    D: elben        Size:        600 MB
S var.p1.s0             State: stale    D: elben        Size:        600 MB
S usr.p0.s0             State: stale    D: donau        Size:       5625 MB
S home.p0.s0            State: stale    D: donau        Size:       1000 MB
S tmp.p0.s0             State: stale    D: donau        Size:        600 MB
S var.p0.s0             State: up       D: donau        Size:        600 MB

Is this correct? I suppose the ATA drives should be mounted on the new /dev/gvinum/*
and the scsi drives on the /dev/vinum/*? My fstab and loader.conf are as follows:

$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/da0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/da1s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/da0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/vinum/home         /home           ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/da1s1a             /rootback       ufs     rw              2       1
/dev/vinum/tmp          /tmp            ufs     rw              2       3
/dev/vinum/usr          /usr            ufs     rw              2       4
/dev/vinum/var          /var            ufs     rw              2       5
/dev/cd0                /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/acd0               /cdrom1         cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/ad6s1              /data           ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/vinum/data01       /data2          ufs     rw              1       1

$ cat /boot/loader.conf
vesa_load="YES"
agp_load="YES"
geom_vinum_load="YES"
vinum_load="YES"
vinum.autostart="YES"
linux_load="YES"
dumpdev="/dev/da0s1b"
hw.ata.ata_dma=1             # enable  IDE DMA
hw.ata.atapi_dma=1         # enable ATAPI/IDE DMA

As I wrote earlier the above loader.conf is not working. If I leave out the load
of the old vinum driver it does not seem to be possible to mount the scsi drives.
If I leave out the geom_vinum a mount of a drive causes a kernel panic.

It would be nice if any of you would comment on the above config.

Perhaps I am ignorant, but it seems to me it would have been easier to make the
regular vinum diver handle geom drives in place of making a new kernel object?
Or perhaps theres a technical reason for not doing so?

--

With regards / med venlig hilsen

Nikolaj Hansen
Algade 15, 2 tv
9000  Aalborg
Danmark

"Even on the highest throne in the world, we are seated, still, upon our
arses." - Montaigne