Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:17:24 +0100
From:      Jeppe Larsen <jwl@io.dk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nvidia + agp crashes

Im running 6.0 and I have som problems with the nvidia-drivers and AGP
support.
Its a SiS 661 chipset. It seems to be found:

agp0: <SiS 661 host to AGP bridge> mem 0xe8000000-0xebffffff at device 0.0
on pci0

And this it was sysctl says:

dev.agp.0.%desc: SiS 661 host to AGP bridge
dev.agp.0.%driver: agp
dev.agp.0.%location: slot=0 function=0
dev.agp.0.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x1039 device=0x0661 subvendor=0x1043 subdevice=0x8113 class=0x060000
dev.agp.0.%parent: pci0

And a /dev/agpgart exists.

The real problem appears when I try starting X with the nvidia-drivers.
The SiS 661 chipset is not supported by the nvidia AGP driver (it was the
same under Linux, so I used the AGPGART module there), so I should used
the native FreeBSD AGP support. I have the right NvAGP option in xorg.conf
and everything, but my machine reboots when X is started. No error message
is logged anywhere.
The driver seems to work fine with my gfx-card, a GeForce4 MX 4000,
because X runs fine with AGP disabled, but with half the performance
(glxgears) than I had under Linux. The problem is apparently that the
nvidia-driver cant use the FreeBSD AGP driver. I've tried with 7676, 7667
and 7174 (compiled the latest with GPU_LEGACY_SUPPORT) and it is the same
problem.

Is there someway to at least get an error message before the reboot or
something?

--
regards,
Jeppe W. Larsen

"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end."