Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2002 15:48:15 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Nedotsukov <bland@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, ache <ache@FreeBSD.ORG>, bp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSDL iconv take-over

Alexander Nedotsukov wrote:

> Hi,
>   I would like to take over BSDL iconv project to let it long live. At
> the moment I am looking for the bug reports and missed charset wishes.
> My priority list is very simple (up to down):
> - Bug fixes. Specialy interested in details on i386 arch deadloop
> reports and alpha chrashes mentioned by ache.
> - ccs/ces extensions.
> - code speedup.
> Due a current business schedule next two and half moths I'll be able to
> work on iconv on weekends only. So this probably will be a reason for
> delays in responce to your feedback.

Nice idea, I like it. The only thing I would add into your list is
making iconv build system more /usr/src-friendly, so that it is easier
to import it into base system when the time comes. Particularly this
includes replacing all perl scripts with awk ones and making build
systmem more sane. If my memory serves some 1.5 years ago Boris Popov
<bp@FreeBSD.org> did some initial work on this, so you might contact
him for details.

Please keep us informed about the progress of your work.

Thanks!

-Maxim