Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:26:03 +0200
From:      Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff <niklaas@kulturflatrate.net>
To:        Bigby James <bigby.james@dimthoughts.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lenovo T420 installlation with zfsroot and GPT/UEFI (FreeBSD 10.1)

Bigby James [2015-04-22 17:00 -0500] :

> If you did nothing other than restart the installer and choose MBR in the
> installation wizard, there may be residual GPT table data on the disk. You can
> try this:
>
> - Select "Shell" from the installer start-up menu
> - From the command line, use `gpart destroy -F <disk-id>` to clear the table
> - Run `gpart create -s gpt <disk-id>` to create a new table,then
> - Run `gpart destroy -F <disk-id>` to remove all partition table data again.

Great hint! Unfortunately, this did not solve my problem though. The
same thing happens: blinking cursor on the top left.

I am thinking about secure rescue the SSD first and then I would give it
another try. I am struggling to find a bootable USB flash disk with
`hdparm` on it.

> Then exit the shell and try installing through the wizard again. If
> that doesn't work, I'm not sure what the other issue would be; I've
> successfully installed ZFS-on-root using MBR on a T520 before, but
> that half a year ago and only temporarily (just to see the result,
> really). Sorry I can't be of more help.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and the recommendations concerning
the backlight issue.

--

    Niklaas