Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 09:15:49 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Cameron Grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>, "Christopher Masto" <chris@netmonger.net>, "Andre Albsmeier" <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>, <cshenton@uucom.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 4.2R pcm/sbc AWE records noise, not audio: 16 bit bug?; gus broken?

Hi Cameron,

  Please don't get bothered by idiotic comments like that.
There are people in the world that you can give everything
to, hell go set up the PC for them, and they are still going
to be complaining.  Besides that, people love complaining
about the things they like - if this guy really and truly
thought that the sound support sucked he wouldn't be using
FreeBSD at all.  His problem is that he just likes complaining.

  Sure, everyone has their favorite piece of hardware that
isn't completely supported.  Me, I'm still concerned that
support for some of the older SCSI adapters was killed when
we switched to CAM.  But, I trust the tradeoffs that developers
make.  I know that the reason that support for my junky card
isn't in there is because some developer somewhere made the
decision that it's not as important as something else.  Instead
of complaining I can add the support myself or buy another
card.

  For every one person out there complaining there are thousands,
such as myself, who are perfectly satisfied with the sound
support in FreeBSD, and are very grateful that people like
you have spent your time to put it in.  Our biggest failing
is that we don't let you guys know this often enough!  View
comments like his as a compliment - he obviously has come to
use FreeBSD so much that he considers it no different than
"commercial" software, of which people take complaining about
to a high art form.