Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:32:49 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Click on to meet someone you Click with

[Replies have been pointed to -chat, as this does *not* belong on
-stable!]

Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de> types:
> Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx> wrote:
>  > On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 11:54:55AM -0500, Chris Byrnes wrote:
>  > > Perhaps it's time to make the mailing lists moderated, or unpostable
>  > > unless you're subscribed?
>  > Yes, I see more crap. And I agree we should make the list unpostable to
>  > those who aren't subscribed.
> NO!  I'm not subscribed (I'm reading the list via a news
> gateway, because this is much more convenient), but I'd
> still like to be able to post to it.

Quite right. Questions clearly can't be so filtered. People are
already having problems with the anti-spam measures on the lists;
making it worse isn't a good idea.

>  > Being a young, firey student with time to kill, I usually send harsh
>  > letters back, occassionally with large binary attachments.
> Very bad idea.  In most cases you'll hit the wrong one.
> [ ... ]

That's why you don't mailbomb or otherwise harass anyone about
spam. Theren's generally no good way to locate the offending mailbox.

> The best thing is simply to ignore that stuff, and use
> filters.

I disagree. I send politely worded complaints, along with the complete
text of the spam, to the administrators of any machines mentioned in
body at web address or email addresses. Ditto for the machine
mentioned on the first Received line added by one of my machines.

If 10% of the people who got a spam followed the above practice, I
think most ISPs would do everything in their power to make sure that
nobody used their machines for spam or any such thing. It would be far
more effective than the RBL and similar nonsense. All I have to do is
get MS to add a "complain about spam" button to OutLook.

	<mike