Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 16:21:31 EEST
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@mail.ru>
To:        rendhalver@users.sourceforge.net, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new cvs based port idea

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 17:37:33 +1000, Peter Brown wrote:
> hi all
>
> i have been toying with the idea of writing a port for mozilla using
> cvs to get the source instead od having to download the 25+ meg bzip
> on each upgrade.
>
> having to download a 25+ meg file for mozilla each time is begining to
> annoy me, especially when a cvs version would make it quicker.
>
> the idea i had is as follows
>
> rewrite the port so that it does a cvs -z3 update -r "RELEASE_TAG"
> when the version changes.
>
> i also thought of submitting the patches to the mozilla developers
> that would make updating the port a simple matter of updating the
> PORTVERSION as the CVS tag will be based on that.

While it may sound like a brilliant idea, in fact it creates more
problems than solves. Following are the most obvious of those
problems:

- often Mozilla developers are reapplying the same tag after a
  several days from the initial release, which we now could detect
  by the checksum mismatch, but would have no way to notice in the
  distfile is replaced with the cvs;
- this will mean that the user will need to permanently keep Mozilla
  cvs tree (some 200MB) around, which is not what many users want
  to do;
- what will happen is the Mozilla cvs server goes off-line for some
  reason? Now we have several mirrors that could be used instead,
  which is much harder to implement in the cvs case.

All this would lead to a decresed port's reliability and as a result
increased load on the Mozilla FreeBSD maintainers, thus it is likely
that we will have to reject your changes. I'm really sorry, but it's
true. If you really have a bad bandwith you can unpack tarball from
the previous version, do `cvs update', reroll the tarfile, adjust
Mozilla's distinfo accordingly and build the port.

> i also with to put switches in to disable the mail/news portions of
> mozilla or having it not build them by default to make the port
> smaller and quicker than the 5-6 hours it currently takes to build on
> my machine. i realise this will change the pkg-plist file, i will
> workout how that can be split into sections.
>
> i have not completed my port yet but i will submit it when i believe
> it is ready, whick should be soon (2 weeks maximum).

This is a better idea, I will take a look at the patches when they
arrive.

Thanks!

-Maxim