Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:43:40 -0400
From:      epilogue <epilogue@allstream.net>
To:        dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OOo-1.1.3

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:03:54 +0200
dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st> wrote:

> I downloaded the OOo-1.1.3_nl package yesterday and wanted to
> install it like I did the previous version.
> I was very surprised to see that it did *not* wanted to install with a
> pkg_add onto my freebsd-4.10p3 system. It was made dependend on de
> X.Org libraries and such is not what you'de expect for a 4.10 system,
> right? OK if it were 5.3; X.Org is default on that, I'm told, but hey,
> not everyone has made the changes to xorg..

hello lee, included you bc step 3 (below) may help to make OO run more
smoothly those few odd times that you do use it.

hello dick,

[snip from previous reply to similar question]

until such time as other packages are made available, you can try what i
have done in the past - installing OO despite having the wrong X server.
this method has been successful for me numerous times:

1) download the pkg for your system

2) pkg_add -f openoffice-[ver]

3) pkgdb -Fu    # almost all the xorg/xfree pieces have very similar
names, so selecting the correct dependency is straightforward.  only
with XFree86-fontScalable might you have to make a choice between
Type1 or TrueType.  both seem to work, but with slightly different
results (i'm not sure which is best and don't much care - but if you
read-up on it, you should be able to figure it out).

4) start openoffice and enjoy.

> Which leads me to another question: would this behaviour of deps on
> X.Org become 'normal' in the future? Is it really worthwhile to make
> the switch to X.Org in favor of XFree86-4.4? The latter runs smoothly
> on my fbsd-4.10 Will X.Org be better??? I checked the net for
> information but both parties don't mention eachothers pro's/contra's

while xorg is now default on 5.3, what they will do with 4.11 is
unclear (at least to me).  either system (xorg/xfree) will work and
both should be available via ports for the forseeable future.  in short,
it is a matter of preference (or features) -- and a decision which is
entirely up to you.   =]

hth,
epi

[/snip]