Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:43:11 -0000
From:      "Cliff Rowley" <dozprompt@onsea.com>
To:        "Peter Kok" <cckok00@stlinux.ouhk.edu.hk>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: command abt 'ftp' and 'cp'

> 1/ I couldn't use ftp as login as 'root' from outside to connect
> freebsd?
> But I could login as normal user to make connection.

Logging in as root anywhere except via the console is disabled for reasons
of security.  Removing external root access (except, of course, via su)
means that in order for a user to get any kind of privellaged access, they
must already be logged into the system.  The most a "hacker" can do, is
brute force a normal user, in the hope that they have SU rights.

> 2/ How do I use 'cp' to copy the whole directory to other location.

cp -r <directory> <destination>

NOTE:  make sure <directory> has no trailing /  Some implementations of cp
will copy the contents of the directory instead of the whole thing if the
trailing forward slash is added.