Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:05:57 +0000
From:      RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dual-boot troubles; /usr won't mount

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 19:28, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 02:08:19PM -0500, Charles Swiger wrote:
> > On Mar 23, 2005, at 1:59 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
> > >	If memory servers, the slices I created were
> > >	ad0s2	/
> > >	ad0s3	SWAP
> > >	ad0s4	/usr
> >
> > People normally create a BSD partition table within an FDISK partition,
> > so / would be on ad0s2a, rather than using all of ad0s2 for a single
> > filesystem.  Then you can put swap on ad0s2b, and so forth and just use
> > on FDISK partition, rather than using three...
>
> 	How do I use/reach FDISK via the CD installation script?
> 	I've looked at the kwik way and the Custom (for experts).
> 	If I use the "Allocate" menu I see the FDISK editor.
> 	What then?  So far I've simply used "C = Create Slice";
> 	then in the following menu I've labeled the slices.
>
> 	Which option in the screen/editor?  Or how-to FDISK
> 	ad0s2 any other way?

It's part of the normal, menu-driven, installation process; first you create 1
slice (primary partition) then you go through to the next stage where you
carve the slice into partition. The second stage is called labelling, and
there is a option to lay out the slice automatically. Even if you don't plan
to use it you should do that to see what the default looks like.