Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:04:31 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: -CURRENT as of 14 Jan seems slow

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, David Wolfskill wrote:

> >Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:46:17 -0800 (PST)
> >From: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
> >Two questions:
>
> >1) Do you have WITNESS on in your kernel config?
>
> Yes, in both the build machine & the laptop -- since before I made a
> "local" hierarchy within my CVS repository (September 9, 2001).
>
> >2) If yes, have you tried building with a kernel without witness?
>
> No, not since I put it in to re-sync with GENERIC.  I could try that, I
> suppose -- but as noted, I've had WITNESS in there for a while; something
> seems to have changed during that one 24-hr. period that affected things
> rather radically.  And I thought it notable.  :-}
>
> I gather no one else has noticed this?

File locking seems to cause only the usual few percent of slowdown for
each round of major locking changes.  I haven't completed benchmarking
the file locking pessimizations.  I don't use WITNESS or INVARIANTS
for benchmarking of course.  Maybe the file locking changes cause much
larger pessimizations when WITNESS is turned on than most locking
changes.  I can see how they might: WITNESS seemed to slow down creation
and destruction of mutexes more than most mutex operations last time I
checked, and there is a descriptor for each file and each file descriptor.

Bruce