Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 11:32:16 -0500
From:      Hal Snyder <hal@post.vale.com>
To:        "'freebsd-chat@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Microsoft's overwhelmed FTP servers

cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com wrote:
>Let's see... that's about 5300 or so requests per hour, assuming a
>steady stream of them. Hmm. I notice the IE download page shows five
>servers in Redmond offering IE.

>So we're talking ~1100 requests per hour per machine. And *that* is
>overwhelming demand?! Hahahaahahah!! ftp.cdrom.com does that many
>*at the same time.*

Would it not be more fair to compare bytes per hour?  Internet Exploder
is a large file, probably much larger than the average download from
ftp.cdrom.com.

I'd sure like to see objective comparisons of FreeBSD v. NT networking,
shorn of marketing hype and O/S holy war rhetoric.

P.S.:

Is there a way to query on-line current download stats for ftp.cdrom.com?
I remember around the time Quake came out someone (David Greenman?) posted
some impressive numbers.