Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:28:56 -0500
From:      Scott W <wegster@mindcore.net>
To:        paul van den bergen <pvandenbergen@swin.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting windows FS questions

paul van den bergen wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have a dual boot machine.... Win2k + BSD...
>
>obviously I can mount the windows partition under BSD.
>can I mount the BSD partition(s) under windows?
>
>I have been told that writing to the windows partition from BSD is kinda
>dubious. why is this? is it possible to work around this?

Unsure if there's anything to mount BSD partitions from within Windows-
I wouldn't be surprised, but as Windows uses broken/different
permissions and file attributes, I wouldn't really want to do this.

For mounting Windows filesystems, you can mount fat/vfat/fat32
partitions all day long read-write, but NTFS uses some sort of sequence
IDs in their file attributes, which if ignored or screwed up, can cause
serious issues on the filesystem....so in short, I don't mount NTFS
read/write ;-)

Scott