Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 2010 08:57:46 -0400
From:      William Bulley <web@umich.edu>
To:        steve@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: serious (for me) Xorg 7.5 mouse/kbd problem in 8.1-STABLE

This is a follow-up to my message to you from earlier in the week...

----- Forwarded message from Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer@who-t.net> -----

To: William Bulley <web@umich.edu>
From: Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer@who-t.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 08:02:36 +1000
Subject: Re: mwm bug in xorg 7.5 xserver (from June)

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 08:11:03AM -0400, William Bulley wrote:
> According to Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer@who-t.net> on Mon, 08/30/10 at 17:56:
> >
> > I'm pretty sure this is one of the bugs fixed by
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=1884db430a5680e37e94726dff46686e2218d525
>
> I can't tell you how much I appreciate your answer.  It gives me some
> positive hope that I can get back to my window manager of choice (mwm).
>
> Forgive me for asking, but what exactly am I to do with this information?

oh, right. so this patch was on master. I don't think it's been
cherry-picked to one of the stable branches (1.7.x in your case).  Since
it's (potentially) fixed upstream, the best approach is to notify your X
maintainers and let them know about this fix. They'll then likely backport
it and add it to the ports system.

However, it's likely worth your time (and theirs) to download the patch from
above and try to manually apply it to your local install. If it really fixes
the problem - great. If not, then we need to figure out what is still broken.

The patch above is in the 1.9 version of the server, so if you have that one
available (or you can test it otherwise, e.g. by cloning from git) that
should show if the bug is fixed too.

as for server versions: the current versions out in the wild are 1.7.7,
1.8.2 and 1.9.0 (just came out two weeks ago).

hth

Cheers,
  Peter

> Except for the C code patch(es) at the end of the above page, I have
> very little understanding of the bulk of that reference.  I am now
> running the following ports on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE:
>
>    xorg-7.5
>    xorg-drivers-7.5
>    xorg-libraries-7.5
>    xorg-server-1.7.5,1
>    xf86-input-keyboard-1.4.0
>    xf86-input-mouse-1.5.0
>
> among others.  Am I supposed to patch the xorg-server source using the
> above mentioned patches, or should I download a more recent xorg-server?
>
> I note that in your HTML calendar of Xorg important dates, that a few
> weeks ago saw the release of xorg-server 1.7.9 (IIRC).  It is likely
> that this "fix" or "patch" is in that server, based on the timestamp
> of the above URL, but, while I am not adverse to replacing my 1.7.5
> vintage xorg-server with the newer 1.7.9 version, I fear that there
> may be other compile time, link time, and/or run time interactions.
>
> I am used to building my entire system (kernel, libraries, and ports
> or applications) from source, but I rarely patch individual objects,
> instead leaving that up to the port maintainers who are infinitely
> more familiar with the port in question.  Your advice is greatly
> appreciated in guiding my next actions.  Thank you again!

----- End forwarded message -----

Regards,

web...

--