Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2006 16:14:24 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Achilleus Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Just a ports related question

Hi,
1st off this not java related.

I am in the process of upgrading my dev system to 6.1-RELEASE.
Its the first time i go with a -RELEASE instead of a dev branch
because i hoped this way portupgrade -P would make more sense.

Into my surprise however i notice that even 3 month old s/w releases
like Python 2.4.3 (March 29, 2006) still are not reflected
in the ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.1-release/
tree
(for the case of Python the package file existent is
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.1-release/lang/python-2.4.2.tbz
last updated 27/02/2006  15:08:00)

Provided that 6.1-RELEASE was out on Mon, 08 May 2006 wouldn't make more
sense if packages like Python were updated?
The definetaly are updated in the ports tree.
(Which subsequently mean much more lenghty portupgrade -P,
wich result in source compilation).

Has anyone a clue on the issue?

(maybe the
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.1-release
contents has the meaning of what used to exist in there when
6.1 was released, who knows....)

It seems that setting

setenv PACKAGESITE
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/All/

seems to relief the issue, but i dont seem to understand
why tweeking is always necessary even if dealing with -RELEASE.

Would make more sense for ports if the tag=. was changed to
tag=RELENG_6_1 ?

Just curious, and i hope someone would shed some light.
--
-Achilleus