Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 02:00:57 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@sicfa.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Email -> SMS Gateway on FreeBSD

Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 10:22:12AM +1100, fbsdlist@futureuse.net wrote:
>
>>>I'm looking to set up an Email -> SMS gateway on my FreeBSD machine.
>>>Its primary use will be to notify a list of mobile phones via SMS if a
>>>server goes down...
>>>
>>[...]
>>
>>>I'm really just after anyone with experience getting this to work.
>>>Suggestions for programs, hardware needed - and i guess most
>>>importantly.. is it possible.
>>>
>>Hi Brad,
>>
>>Good news - it is possible and shouldn't be very hard to do either. You've
>>got these main options ...
>>
>>1. Use a 3rd party service provider, they'll have software or an email
>>gateway you can use. We use RedRock Communications at work.
>>
>>2. Write your own gateway.
>>

> 3. use the email address provided by your phone operator (eg:
> number@operator), and redirect the mail to it. Often it's only a mail
> notify service, so only subject is sent to the phone. I've a perl script
> which put all the content of a mail in a subject then send it. If
> someone is interested, mail me privately.
>
> Btw, someone talked about software available for that in the ports.
> Which ports exactly ?
>
> lucas

/usr/ports/misc/smssend can use webbased services such as
mtnsms.com and many others.
It features some kind of script language that allows you to
make scripts that enables it to use any webbased sms
service, and comes preloaded with scripts for a lot of services.
I havent used it more then in a few tests, but it seems to work.