Date:      Sat, 5 May 2001 04:40:20 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Darryl Hoar" <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing question

Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com> types:
> I have a freebsd box that is a dailup gateway
> (ppp -auto -nat).  It is connected to an internal
> LAN which is Win98/NT machines.  They all have IP
> services, etc.  One machine on the LAN is a WinNT
> server which I have no control over.  The NT server
> is a gateway to an old "GMPULSAT" which is a dog
> slow satellite link.  Some of the custom apps installed
> on the Win98/NT machines need to go out over the
> GM PULSAT Link, and thus have the NT Server's ip as
> the default gateway.
>
> What I want to have happen, is that all traffic for the
> internet goes out over the FreeBSD box, and all the private
> traffice (10.x.x.x) goes out over the GM PULSAT (Provided its
> not a local machines IP).
>
> I know this can be done.  I can configure the ppp, and get that
> cooking.  What tool do I use to direct the traffic so to speak ?
>
> On the win98/NT boxes, what would I put in for gateway ?  The
> FreeBSD box ip, or the NT server ip ?

Since you don't have an answer yet, so I'll take a crack at
it. Hopefully, if I screw something up one of the people more
qualified than me will catch it.

You need to divide your 10.x.x.x network into two parts: the GM PULSAT
part - which I'm going to call 10.x.x.x/z for convenience - and the
local machines. You then have to add a route for the GM PULSAT at some
point. On FreeBSD, it looks like:

	route add 10.x.x.x/z NT-PULSAT-GATEWAY

If you add that on the FreeBSD box, and have the Windows boxes use the
FreeBSD box as the default route, then the first packet from them to
the windows box should result in an ICMP redirect back to them so they
start sending to the NT PULSAT gateway.

Alternatively, you can add the above route to each box that needs to
talk to the PULSAT network, which will cut down on the network
traffic.

Personally, I'd add the route on the FreeBSD box, fix any Windows
boxes that talk to the PULSAT network all the time, and tweak the
Windows install procedure to add the route so new systems will have
it.

	<mike