Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:13:44 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        "Liotta, Bob" <bLiotta@USCO.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to 3.2

Hello,

From yur message, it's very difficult to see what's happening.

What you could do :
- send here the result of dmesg run whe your system is running under
3.0-R (thus, you will se if both of your drives are seen by FreeBSD)
- tell what is your hardware config in detail
- inspect the content of your new 3.2 partitions by mounting them
manually from 3.0-R (eg : # mount /dev/wd2s1a /mnt : ls /mnt -- if your
disk is on IDE)
- be sure that yo have the right boot blocks on your 3.2 root partition
(if not, use disklabel -B with the new boot blocks from the 3.2-R /boot
directory)

	TfH

"Liotta, Bob" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I currently have 3.0-RELEASE on a Pentium Overdrive machine.  When
> Upgrading to 3.2,
> I get to the second disk where it is just starting to probe the
> hardware, and it just reboots.
>
> Do you have any ideas?  It does get to the boot prompt.  It is right
> after that point.  I see the spinning cursor.

I had such a symptom when I tried to use a single IDE HD which was wired
as slave : don't do it !

> Then reboot.
>
> Bob Liotta
> Champion, Internet Services