Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:56:23 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        munn <munn@umd.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newsyslog

At 10:07 AM -0500 12/11/04, munn wrote:
>I have two FreeBSD machines running 4.10-RELEASE-p5.  On machine A
>newsyslog  rolls over the log files perfectly, on Machine B I get
>the message:
>
>/var/log/auth.log.0: No such file or directory
>
>The newsyslog.conf entries are :
>MACHINE A: /var/log/auth.log		600  7     100  *     Z
>MACHINE B: /var/log/auth.log		600  7     100  $W6D0 Z
>
>An ls of the /var/log directory yields
>
>ls -ltr auth*
>-rw-------  1 root  wheel  97872 Dec 11 00:00 auth.log.1
>-rw-------  1 root  wheel     95 Dec 11 00:00 auth.log.0.gz
>-rw-------  1 root  wheel    176 Dec 11 09:42 auth.log
>
>I have looked relevant permissions and files sizes on both machines
>and they are identical.  Can anyone suggest what the problem is?
>Is the time entry the issue ... I just copied it from another entry
>in the newsyslog.conf file.

I doubt the time-entry would be the issue.  That will only effect
*when* a file gets rotated.  It should have no effect on what should
be done once it is decided to rotate the file.

You might try running 'newsyslog -nvv', and see if that shows a
difference between the two machines.

Is that 'ls' command from the machine which works, or the one which
does not work?  Either way, it doesn't seem quite right.  You should
either see 'auth.log.0.gz' and 'auth.log.1.gz', or you should see
'auth.log.0' and 'auth.log.1'.  The program is complaining that it
can not find 'auth.log.0', and sure enough there is no 'auth.log.0'.
You might want to try 'gunzip /var/log/auth.log.0.gz', and then
run newsyslog and see if it works any better.