Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 08:58:41 -0800
From:      Mark Diekhans <markd@grizzly.com>
To:        d_burr@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Buying a laptop for FreeBSD - advice sought

>Well, I finally broke down to temptation and am about to purchase a
>laptop.  Since I want to be able to use this machine with FreeBSD, I'd
>like to consult with the group before I make the final decision.

I have been running FreeBSD 2.0 on a DX4/75 subnotebook (samsung) with
20mb memory and a 520mb disk for about 8 months now (nice notebook).
The DX4/75 is plenty fast, not complaints about speed.  I even do
rather large compiles on it.

>Anyway, here are the spec's on the notebook, and some notes/questions I
>have re: them.  Any and all answers or help greatly appreciated.
>
>IntelDX4/100 CPU
>	This should work.  Hopefully the APM features will work with the
>	FreeBSD apm0 driver?

The apm and pcmcia support is basicly experimental.   I couldn't get
anywhere with the stuff that shipped with 2.1.  Some fine people in
Japan are working on more support:

   http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa.html

but I have yet to get my 28.8 modem card or apm to work.  I am too short
on time to learn enough to debug it right now, so I am hoping others
will get it working.  Check out the cards they say work and stick with them.

>8 MB RAM expandable to 32 MB
>	I know, 16 would be better, but I've run on 8 before, with no probs.

While my memory was on backorder I was running in 4 mb.  I ran emacs from
the console.  It swapped a lot so it was kind of slow, but it still work
much better than I expected.

>Removable 520MB Hard drive
>	I know, a bit small, but my current FreeBSD partition is 540MB
>	and I'm not exactly hurting for space.  I'll eventually want a

The 520mb disk is no problem, I have lots of stuff on it.  I even have
to have a dos partation to be able to use the pcmcia modem card :-(

>	bigger storage space, and I'm thinking along the lines of a SCSI
>	PCMCIA adapter and a external Zip or Jaz drive... will this work?
>	(also see notes below under PCMCIA)

Check out what they support...

>builtin 16 bit sound card
>	Is it SB16 compatible?  Or will it work with the FreeBSD snd driver?

While mine is supposedly sound blaster compatible, I can't get it to work.
I haven't put much time into it as its a toy for what I really do.

>3.5" 1.44m floppy disk
>	Just as long as I can boot the FreeBSD bootdisk, I'm happy...

Shouldn't be a problem, mine works with an external floppy (not pcmcia).

>32-bit VLB Windows accelerator with 1 MB VRAM
>	Chipset?  XFree86 compatible?  I don't need >256 colors but would
>	be nice...

Compare the chipset to what XFree86 supports.  XFree86 doesn't support
the particular cirrus logic chipset I have.  The ones that are close don't
work.  None of the commercial X-servers work either.  I am forced to
run in 16 color mode until I get the time to debug it (if I ever get the time).

>EPP parallel, high-speed serial, sound in/out, external monitor, and
>external PS/2 keyboard ports
>	Good, the serial ports have 16550's.  I suppose I should be able
>	to run a external modem off one of these, if I can't/don't want to
>	run with PCMCIA devices?

The serial port works like a champ, I use high speed external modems with
no problem.

A very cool thing about the EPP parallel port is that FreeBSD supports
TCP/IP over a laplink parallel cable.  For <$10, I have a reasonably
high speed point to point network with my desktop.  Much faster than
going over a null modem cable.  I install freebsd via parallel port
TCP/IP. Good stuff, I owe who ever did the a beer.

>If anyone has had experience running FreeBSD (or really, any of the free
>UNIX OS's) on this laptop, successful or no, I would appreciate some
>insight and/or information.  Please e-mail me at d_burr@ix.netcom.com.

The bottom line:  Pick you system carefully.  There are a lot of variables
in notebooks and you can't swap cards to get things to work.  Find out
the video and pcmcia chipsets and compare with the tested ones.
Don't expect a ton of "just do this" suggestions.  The people on these lists
are amazing helpful, but I have found that people don't encounter the same
problems I do.  Probably due there being so many different notebook
configurations and not a large user base.

Don't let this discourage you.  While the things I have yet to get to work are
frustrating, overall I have been very pleased with the system. The pcmcia
modem problems have been the only real disadvantage. Its fast and reliable.
Having a 3.7 lb Unix system has proven amazingly useful.  The high point was
the look on my SO's face when I headed off for an extended visit to the john,
Unix computer under my arm :-)

Feel free to mail me directly if you have more questions,
Mark <markd@grizzly.com>