Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:03:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple machines in the same network

This is starting to drift a bit away, but I'm still saying a FreeBSD machine
with a bunch of ethernets is cheaper and more versatile than a switch that
can do real firewalling.  Granted I will admit the performance will not be
gigabit, but for the most part you can filter traffic from one or two DS3s,
and most firewalls are between the LAN and WAN.

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Wes Peters wrote:

> Who said anything about layer 2 devices?  Both the switches I referred to
> are layer 3 devices with a wide range of network services available.  The
> Xylan box offers Checkpoint FW-1 firewall and advanced routing if you want
> to get really involved, though you'll need a model with more RAM and Flash.

And I'm sure the checkpoint software is many thousands of dollars, which
will raise your port cost quite a bit.  And that damn 25/50/unlimited
licensesing is not cheap.  Unfortunately they did not have prices on the
Xylan or Checkpoint site, and web queries with product numbers turned up
only checkpoint and xylan pages.

> > 4 Port Ethernet cards are less than $500 now so you
> > can build the box with a really low per-port cost.  The box costs $2000 for
> > 8 ports at about $250/port.
>
> You obviously didn't follow the links.  The HP ProCurve I mentioned is $1880
> for 40 switched 10/100 ports with layer 3 functionality and VLAN support.
> That's $47 port port, much lower than your $250/port, with a LOT more performance
> also.  The Tolly Group recently tested it and found it capable of sustaining
> full wire speed on all 40 ports.  I'll just be your PCI-bus box isn't going
> to hit 4 Gbps throughput.

Did you read the manual?  Not much layer 3 there at all, but it will let you
filter based on IP multicast.  If you can do more than this, please point me
to the page number in the manual.

> > Sure there are some switches that do provide extensive filtering and even
> > load balancing, but those are a usually a bit more than $250/port.
>
> Not anymore.

The key work is "extensive", nice range of services to filter on, logging,
statefull inspection, etc.

Cliff

--
   | Cliff Skolnick          | "They that can give up essential liberty to |
   | Steam Tunnel Operations |  obtain a little temporary safety deserve   |