Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:48:34 +0100
From:      Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        toxa <postfix@sendmail.ru>
Subject:   Re: acpi S4 resume partition

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:49:07AM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> So S4BIOS does only the first half of the job, or is there some magic
> BIOS/ACPI call FreeBSD can do to make this happen automatically?

It's a hook into the BIOS indeed. The ACPI system reports to the OS
whether S4BIOS is available.

When it is, the OS doesn't need to do much itself and the BIOS does most
of the work. The tasks of the OS is to make sure all drivers are having
the right state and turning devices on and off.

> I can't believe Windows modifies the MBR on suspend...

Correct, Windows doesn't use S4BIOS at all, it's fully inplemented in
software and therefore a regular S4.

Mark