Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 23:42:28 -0400
From:      "Isaac Waldron" <waldroni@lr.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: C++ comments in kernel module

> Isaac Waldron wrote:
>
> > I am working on a kernel module for the plex86 vm project, and have run
into a
> > small issue with some of the non-OS specific code.  This code has C++
style
> > '//' comments in it, which are disallowed by gcc when the -ansi flag is
used.
> > Does anyone know of a way to re-enable these comments, and if not, is
there
> > any harm in disabling the -ansi flag when compiling a kernel module?
>
> Just don't use those comments, use real C /* comments */ instead.  I
> think technically the // comments are legal ANSI C now, but haven't been
> for long and I guess the compilers haven't caught up yet.  But no, I
> don't think removing -ansi will hurt.
>
> --
> Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
> FreeBSD Documentation Project /

Well, there are large portions of code that I didn't write that has mixed //
and /* */ comments in it.  But I finally just sat down and changed them all
to the old style.  Now I just have to send a patchset in to the plex86 guys
and hope it gets into the source tree.  But that's another e-mail. Thanks
for the help.

Isaac Waldron
waldroni at lr dot net