Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:34:09 -0800
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ruby 1.8 - Makefile Error

I have two machines running 4.9.  On "blacklamb", I have the ports
collection installed and am running Samba 2.2.8a .  On blacksheep, I
mount blacklamb's /usr/ports at blacksheep's /usr/ports using smbfs.
This system has worked fine for over 2 years.

However on blacksheep, I tried to upgrade from ruby 1.6 to ruby 1.8
following the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING.  When running 'make
install clean', I get the following error:

blacksheep# make install clean
===>  Building for ruby-1.8.1_2
make: cannot open makefile.
*** Error code 2

Yet if I run the same command on blacklamb, the port builds just fine.
Other ports build OK on blacksheep using this method.  Any ideas on why
ruby 1.8 won't build?

Thanks,

Drew