Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:23:05 -0600
From:      Nigel Houghton <nigel@sourcefire.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chroot-ing users coming in via SSH and/or SFTP?

On  0, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> allegedly wrote:
> A client wants me to set up a mechanism whereby his customers can drop files
> securely into directories on his FreeBSD server; he also wants them to be
> able to retrieve files if needed. The server is already running OpenSSH,
> and he himself is using Windows clients (TeraTerm and WinSCP) to access it,
> so the logical thing to do seems to be to have his clients send and receive
> files via SFTP or SCP.
>
> The users depositing files on the server shouldn't be allowed to see what
> one another are doing or to grope around on the system, so it'd be a good
> idea to chroot them into home directories, as is commonly done with FTP.
>
> However, OpenSSH (or at least FreeBSD's version of it) doesn't seem to have a
> mechanism that allows users doing SSH, SCP, or SFTP to be chroot-ed into a
> specific directory. What is the most effective and elegant way to do this? I've
> seen some crude patches that allow you to put a /. in the home directory specified
> in /etc/passwd, but these are specific to versions of the "portable" OpenSSH
> and none of the diffs seem to match FreeBSD's files exactly.
>
> --Brett

Is there something wrong with using the scponly shell for the users?

It is available in ports and at http://www.sublimation.org/scponly/

                  Vulnerability Research Team

 Stewie: You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical,
         you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence
				 ...gotta get me some of that.