Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:41:04 +0200
From:      "Frank Behrens" <frank@harz.behrens.de>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Java and IPv6 on BSD - it does not work well

Some weeks ago I tried to setup a tomcat server with IPv4 and IPv6 on
my FreeBSD server and observed some problems. This was the starting
point to make a short research about the Java(tm) IPv6 implementation
and something seems to be wrong.

My conclusion:
It is very difficult or impossible to use the current (1.6.0) Java
implementation for server services if they should listen on IPv4 and
IPv6 addresses. With many BSD's default settings it is not even
possible to bind to a combined IPv4/IPv6 wildcard address.

The current Sun Java implementation should be changed in a way, that
the socket is created with the right address family after the bind
address has been determined.

You can read the complete test description and my observations on
http://diario.behrens.de/2008/10/12/java_and_ipv6_on_bsd.html

Do you agree or do you have other experiences?
[Note: I read the list, no Cc: necessary]

Regards,
   Frank

--
Frank Behrens, Osterwieck, Germany
PGP-key 0x5B7C47ED on public servers available.