Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:48:53 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@telehouse.ch>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netgraph and ar0 (digi sync/570i)

Julian Elischer wrote:

> Andre Oppermann wrote:
> >
> > Hello guys
> >
> > I've got a few problems with a new FreeBSD 4.1 router test setup.
> >
> > Up until now I was unsing the Digi Sync/570i (V.35) with the native
> > driver plus kernel sppp for ppp and/or cisco HDLC mode. No problems
> > here. Works fine.
> >
> > To leverage the new possibilities of VPN's, protocol stacking, etc.
> > I now tried to use it with netgraph.
> >
> > The card is still detected fine and I set up netgraph with the
> > following:
> >
> >    $ ngctl mkpeer sync_ar0: cisco rawdata downstream
> >    $ ngctl mkpeer sync_ar0:rawdata iface inet inet
> >
> > OK, now the ng0 interface appears in ifconfig -a and can be configured:
> >
> >    $ ifconfig ng0 62.48.31.181 62.48.31.182 netmask 255.255.255.252
> >
> > This brings up the interface but leads to an error message like the
> > following:
> >
> >     ar0 Receive error, chan 0, stat a4, msci st3 3, rxhind 25, cda40fa
> > eda
> >
> > Has anybody got a hint what might be going wrong here or has got it
> > working? Remember, without netgraph is works fine.
>
> We have never had an AR card to test the netgraph code with.
> The netgraph code was done "in theory", but is waiting at the
> ("well that's all the hard work done" stage, for someone with a card
> to show up..)
> Basically it is the same code as in the Sr driver and a prorpretary
> card at Whistle.

Ah, ok.

> I will be out of touch for a day or two but if you would like to help me
> get it going
> send me some email and we can see what we can do..

Please help me getting this working. I just get used to netgraph but
I really like it.

> The fact that you have it running in the old format shows that all the
> information
> needed is there.. I just need to figure out what I've missed out..

I was browsing through the code today and, well, it looks like it is
easy to miss something there.

> > A few more questions and observations:
> >
> >  1. With netgraph the ifconfig output shows 'NOARP', without it does
> >     not.
>
> >  2. With netgraph the ifconfig output shows 'SIMPLEX', without it does
> >     not. This is clearly wrong, leased lines are duplex.
>
> With netgraph, the ar device should not HAVE a ifconfig entry..
> if it doesm that that is coding problem straight away..

Well, with netgraph it does not have an ifconfig entry directly but
the ng0 node which shows this behaviour.

--
Andre