Date:      Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:12:33 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: debugging wheel mouse

I've solved the problem.

If you configure XFree86 to use "Protocol sysmouse" then wheel scrolling will
not work, because this puts the mouse into 5-byte mode which only supports 3
buttons.  You have to use "protocol auto" in the XFree86 config to enable
sysmouse 8-byte protocol with support for buttons 4 & 5.

This is not mentioned anywhere that I can find.  I'll get the FAQ updated.

Debugging was a pain, basically I ran kdump on the X server and looked at the
I/O from the mouse device, then had a read of the appropriate machine/mouse.h
header and discovered that the 5-byte protocol was not good enough.  A lot
more fiddling and trial-and-error produced the fix.

Greg.