Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 09:03:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Mike Loiterman <mike@ascendency.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: restore question

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Mike Loiterman wrote:

> In terms of doing a restore, I've wanted a "ghost" type of program
> for a *long* time.  There has to be an easier way?  Perhaps this is
> troublesome because of the way FreeBSD operates in terms of slices
> and partitions rather then just partitions.  I *believe* that the
> copy of Ghost I have will work on Linux boxes, but I could be
> mistaken.

I've said it before, but not lately:

http://www.partimage.org

The current version of PartImage supports UFS/FFS, at least in a beta
form.

If you want a usable version of PartImage on a bootable CD:

http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/

Unfortunately, it's Linux, not FreeBSD, so you have to use /dev/hda
instead of /dev/ad0, more instead of less, and so on.

I don't know if the version of PartImage on that CD has the FFS support;
probably not.

A combination of a FreeBSD port of PartImage along with the LiveCD port
could produce a self-restoring backup, even including the ability to
span multiple CDs.