Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 18:24:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Date:Fri@apollo.backplane.com, 04@FreeBSD.ORG, Jun@FreeBSD.ORG, 1999@FreeBSD.ORG, 15:25:37.-0700@apollo.backplane.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

:At 01:08 PM 6/4/99 , Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>:had not been done, then the Internet would not have grown as it did today.
:>:
:>:The central issue of keepalives is that, for one machine, they don't create
:>:a significant load.  Multiplied by the number of machines on the Internet,
:>:it can become a problem.
:>
:>     As I said.  People are arguing about keepalives without knowing how they
:>     work.
:
:That's an excellent point!  People with less correct implementations of TCP
:keepalives will use freeBSD's justification as their justification for
:turning on TCP keepalives by default.

    Umm... that is about as twisted a reasoning as I could imagine.  I don't
    consider it a useful argument.  The sky might be falling too, better not
    go outside!

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>