Date:      Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:16:57 -0700
From:      Everett Batey <efbatey@gmail.com>
To:        Questions at FreeBSD <questions@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD X11 <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>, UUASC List <uuasc@UUASC.org>
Cc:        Ev Batey Gmail <efbatey@gmail.com>
Subject:   VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP .. Xorg drivers .. not via .. FreeBSD

According to http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=3D5&ArticleID=3D68=
&P=3D6
the Via User website,  on running wins3id.exe .. my MSI KM3M-V Mobo like=20
scanpci -v says

 .. Has Builton "VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP"
  Chip ID 7205  /  SSven  1462  /  SSdev  7061=20
which =3Ds scanpci Output .. It is in hardware location AGP 01/00/0

Either FreeBSD's X.org (and FreeSBIE older Xorg) DO NOT PROPERLY=20
SUPPORT the X.org recommended "via" driver or the driver is broken or=20
the FreeBSD has some serious  other native problems.  Knoppix 3.4 which=20
uses XFree86_4 drives this chip just fine.

When I backed FreeBSD 5.4 down to using XFree86 4 vs using X.org at
least I got a screen to paint .. no widgets .. but hires matte.

Is there anyone in FreeBSD land who might help or help me fix this? .. I ha=
ve
another server dying and am confronted with Linux and deserting FreeBSD.

I really dont want to do that .. it would approach the pain of losing=20
my kitty.

--=20
Ev Batey -- WA6CRE -- efbatey@gmail.com
  805 340-6471  http://www.cotdazr.org