Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 15:16:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "James D. Butt 'J.D'" <jbutt@mwci.net>
To:        mike@smith.net.au, Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial Console does it work?? (Plea for help)

> > I have spent quite a while looking at this serial console issue..
>
>   I saw your old e-mail.  It seems that your configuring the serial
> console the very old way.  You don't need to recompile either the kernel
> or the boot blocks, as both support it by default now.  You basically just
> need to put the correct flags into /boot.config and start a getty and you
> are done.

If the cause is some simple config issue I am very sorrt for wasting
peoples time but I am not preceiving it as that because I have even had
other people here look at this (as a sanity check) and we can still not
get it work work) Thank You in advance..

/boot.config contains

-D -h

(though I have tried -P but I can not use it because the paticular bios I
have does not support booting without a keyboard ..grr..)

My kernel config file
device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x20 tty irq 4

Snipit from ttys..

console "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on  secure

the above line was added by installing the comconsole port..

#

#cuaa0  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure
I can get a login to spawn if I uncomment the above line.. In all past
2.2.x releases I was able to use ttyd0 instead of cuaa0?? Seems strange
but hey...

When the boot loader loads I am able to use the serial console to set
options ect.. but when it loads the kernel for what ever reason it reverts
back to the vga... (But I will eventually get the console prompt)

Am I incorrect to assume that the old FORCE_COMCONSOLE back in 2.2.x
releases would not show anything on VGA but the boot loader and the the
login prompt (aka the output of device probes ect are sent to the serial
port (and most importantly when a boot fails because of file system
problems you can fsck the drives manualy) is not how the current serial
console works??

I have set this up a ton of times with 2.2.x releases...

  James D. Butt 'J.D.'		jbutt@mwci.net - jbutt@firecracker.com
  MidWest Communications, Inc.