Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2017 17:12:04 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com>
To:        Rafal Lukawiecki <raf@rafal.net>, freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shutdown causing reboot in EC2

On 10/28/17 06:44, Rafal Lukawiecki wrote:
> I am using Colin’s AWS marketplace FreeBSD 11 image.

Technically it's the FreeBSD project's image. :-)

It only says "Sold by Colin Percival" in the Marketplace for historical
reasons -- my account got some special flags set years ago, and Amazon
hasn't gotten the paperwork done to get the release engineering account
flagged the same way.  All the builds are done by re@.

> When I issue (as root):
>
> 	shutdown -h now
>
> it shuts down…and then reboots in 18 seconds. [...]
>
> I thought that 'shutdown -h now' was supposed to place
> the machine in a halted state, is this supposed to behave differently on
> AWS EC2?

I guess the obvious question here is "what does it mean for a virtual machine
to be halted but not powered off"?

--
Colin Percival