Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 06:01:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        nclayton@lehman.com
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook DocBook cutover complete

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 nclayton@lehman.com wrote:

> Kris,
>
> On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 04:40:22PM +0930, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > > Almost a year ago I started the project to switch the Handbook over
> > > from LinuxDoc to DocBook.
> >
> > Can I ask what the differences and benefits are?
>
>      As it currently stands in the repository, the DocBook Handbook can be
>      converted to HTML, Postscript, plain text, and Microsoft RTF.  A bug
>      that I'll fix this week is currently preventing PDF generation.
>
>      Word .doc support is in the pipeline as well, probably for the end of
>      this week too (I've now given some money to the evil empire so I can
>      test the output myself).

Why? We can use StarOffice 5.0x, after all.

>      Next on the list will be whatever internal format the Palm Pilot uses.
>      I imagine this won't be too useful for the Handbook, but will probably
>      be quite handy for the FAQ. . .

Do you mean the Memo format or the Doc format? I hope you mean Doc... It
might not even be worth it to do this, since a very nice, fast browser
(Palmscape) has been around for a while on the Palm, and an offline browser
called Plucker.

> More information at
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/~nik/primer/index.html

> --
> --+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
> --+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--
> --+==[              Year 2000 Testing: It's about time. . .             ]==+--

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \__ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___/___/___/