Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 02:11:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Mark.Andrews@isc.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.7-R-p3: j.root-servers.net

I was not going to respond to this, but I really think I should.

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     This discussion has got me to thinking a bit.  I go the root.zone route,
>     downloading it from the internic once a week.

Errr..  it would actually be better to do something like 'dig
@b.root-servers.net . axfr > file' than to download it from internic. Both
because it's updated more than once a week, and because the version
available for ftp is not always updated in a timely manner.

>     The root.zone is like an extended hints file:

No it's not. The root zone file is just that. It's a real zone file for
the root zone. A hints file has a very different syntax. This is an
important distinction.

>     What I have just realized however is that my name server may not be
>     using the TLD entries when I load root.zone as a 'hints' file.  It
>     may just be using the root entries.  Now I'm not sure whether I am
>     reaping all the benefits from the file I've been downloading for the
>     last 10 years or not :-)

I just tested this on bind 8.3.4, and the database has all of the contents
of the root zone, listed as hints. So, at least with recent bind 8 you've
been getting what you think you're getting... whether it's a good thing or
not is another question. :)