Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 16:50:41 -0700
From:      "Scott Johnson" <tmtowtdi@mailandnews.com>
To:        evelio <evelio@eclipse.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On install Cdrom won't mount

On 25 Aug 00, at 17:50, evelio wrote:
> I just recently bought FreeBSD 4.0. I am using a Packard Bell, Axcel 3520
> with 16 ram and 100 mhz ( Intel Pentium )I can boot up from the CDROM
> without a problem
>
> However during the install of FreeBSD towards the end when I need the
> CDROM to copy files it does not find the CDROM.
>
> The only thing I can tell you about the CDROM is that it is quad speed.
>
> Is there some configuration I need to do or should I get a newer CDROM.

I've had this problem with my much newer Iomega ZipCD 650 CDR,
both while installing and otherwise. It seems that if the drive spins
down while mounted, and I try to access it later, it will hang up. I
still have installed from it by doing the install in two runs -- making
a slice and a disklabel, quitting the install, starting over again and
this time assigning mount points to the partitions I already made,
then rushing through the rest of the install to get to transfering the
packages before the drive spins down. Usually the time saved is by
already having partitioned the disk is just enough.

Scott