Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2006 22:32:59 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dirrmtry: shared directories and can, should or must use

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:40:45 +0300
Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> At The Porters Handbook 7.2.1 Cleaning up empty directories we read
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/plist-cleaning.html#PLIST-DIR-CLEANING
>
> "However, sometimes @dirrm will give you errors because other ports
> share the same directory. You can use @dirrmtry to remove only empty
> directories without warning."
>
> I don't quite understand the term "can" here. Is it supposed may,
> should or must use @dirrmtry?

Should.

> And what about non-empty but shared directories? May, should or must
> we use @dirrmtry?

Should. From what I understand from your phrasing all 3 sentences are
equivalent.

The idea is that different ports install files in the same directories
(that are not part of mtree). The ONLY reason to use @dirrmtry is to
avoid "Unable to completely delete dir/x " type of warnings from
pkg-delete.

Of course, using @dirrmtry instead of properly removing own installed
files is wrong.

> Is this command supposed to work only when building packages
> (i.e. at pointyhat) or is it intended to be useful at other
> servers/workstations (i.e. not to disturb administrators when
> upgrading their systems)?

In all cases, when either pkg-delete or make deinstall are used.

--
IOnut - Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"

BOFH excuse #258:
That's easy to fix, but I can't be bothered