Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:43:13 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Igor Pokrovsky <igor.pokrovsky@cnrm.meteo.fr>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: support of SMBus on ICH3

--ogUXNSQj4OI1q3LQ

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 03:27:51PM +0200, Igor Pokrovsky wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 03:13:23PM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > Well FWIW I'm seeing the same on -CURRENT as of yesterday, on a laptop.
>
> I looked through CVS commit logs, and I found that the only difference
> between STABLE and CURRENT version of ichsmb is additional support for IC=
H4.
> Yes, so no matter running STABLE or CURRENT in our case. But still that
> doesn't help.

Nope.

> > The strange thing is that Intel's ICH3-M documentation says that it
> > supports SMBus, but the device/function number (which should be D31:F3
> > according to my spec) isn't even listed in my pciconf -l output :(
> >=20
> > Furthermore I don't get any expected value when using pciconf -r
>
> I've got exactly the same result on my laptop :(

Which goes to show the whole SMBus function of the ICH3 is not there
according to the PCI configuration registers.

> > Admittedly know about this >< much about PCI configuration, but somehow=
> > suspect that the SMBus feature is optional on ICH3 motherboards, or it =
needs
> > to be turned on explicitly somehow during the boot. Anyone got any
> > more clue?
>
> I've searched BIOS on my laptop and found nothing about SMB at all.
> Have you tried to look into BIOS of your laptop?

Just tried to find something and failed miserably. Not even 'legacy OS'
or something like that.

> > This is actually the ICH3 AC '97 modem interface, which gets detected
> > as 'none0@pci0:31:6' on my laptop.
>
> Hmm, interesting... I have a win modem built in laptop, so I cannot use it
> FreeBSD. Do you think it's possible to do anything about it?

Depends on the WinModem. Mine actually has a PCTel codec or whatever the
backend is called, and there is an open source Linux driver for that. I've
been meaning to try and port it but my time is taken up elsewhere.
I don't think that the AC '97 modem interface is all that is required for
a WinModem. But I know even less about WinModems than I do about PCI :)

> > Like Igor, more info available on request.
>
> Maybe send a copy to maintainer of ichsmb - archie@ ?

I'd first like to hear from people with PCI or ICH clue to ascertain that
the SMBus device is there. I still suspect it's not wired in our laptops.

--Stijn

--=20
"What if everything you see is more than what you see -- the person next to
you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to anoth=
er
world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or =
you
accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it real=
ly
is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected
things."
		-- Shigeru Miyamoto

--ogUXNSQj4OI1q3LQ

--ogUXNSQj4OI1q3LQ--