Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2008 03:57:03 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hendrix El <el.hendrixx@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-i386@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with dell usb keyboard

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:02:06AM +0000, Hendrix El wrote:
> I'm using desktopbsd 1.6 (6.3 freebsd release) on a Dell Inspiron 530
> (there is no PS/2 port) and I have a keyboard problem.
> When Dbsd starts load the keyboard controller atkbd0 and the keyboard
> works fine with the console:
>
>  dmesg | grep kbd
> kbd1 at kbdmux0
> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
> atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
> kbd0 at atkbd0
> atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
>
> but when the boot gets to the kdm (kde) screen I can't login cause my
> keyboard is blocked and any key work, there is no input of it until I
> unplug my keyboard and plug it back again and then this is the output
> of dmesg:
>
> kbd1 at kbdmux0
> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
> atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
> kbd0 at atkbd0
> atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> ukbd0: Dell Dell USB Keyboard, rev 1.10/3.06, addr 3, iclass 3/1
> kbd2 at ukbd0.
>

> I have tried to install pc-bsd and FreeBSD 7.0 release but and I have
> the same result.
> I have been looking for about it and I have found some similar but I'm
> not very sure how to do it:
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/bsd-17/freebsd-install-with-usb-keyboard-311089/
>

> I looked at my BIOS "USB device settings" --> "USB controller" and
> there are two options (Enable and Disabled) and two modes operation
> USB (high speed and low speed), but nothing about USB legacy.

The "USB Legacy" option in BIOSes allows USB keyboards to work in
operating systems which lack a USB stack, such as MS-DOS, or the FreeBSD
bootloader.  The option should not affect the FreeBSD kernel once
started and the USB stack loaded.

I would try disabling the AT keyboard interface using /boot/loader.conf
and see if it makes a difference for you.  I believe this should do it:

hint.atkbd.0.disabled="1"

You'll need to reboot after adding the above.

If that doesn't work, try disabling the keyboard multiplex driver
in a similar way:

hint.kbdmux.0.disabled="1"