Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 16:02:25 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        Chris Martino <chrismar@mail.eclipse.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem Problems

On Apr 11,  6:28pm, Chris Martino wrote:
} Subject: Modem Problems
> To Whom it may Concern:
>
> The only problem we have yet to solve is how to establish a PPP
> connection.  I've printed all the pages in the FAQ and handbook
> pertaining to the subject, but I still can't seem to get it to work.
>
> I'm unsure of the exact modem it is (I can find out if you need it) but I
> know that it is a Modem/Sound Card combonation.  In windows95 it runs on
> COM3 and COM4.

This sounds suspiciously like a WinModem, which is more or less a modem
implemented in software with the bare minimum hardware needed to interface
to a telephone line.  These modems were a cost cutting measure used
by large PC manufacturers like Gateway, and are generally not a very
good buy unless you plan on using Windows 95 exclusively and don't mind
5-10% of your CPU being chewed up while it acts as a modem.  These
types of modems aren't currently supported under any other OS than 95
AFAIK.

> Ps- Using XFree86 and the Mac64 server how do I start X in 16bpp?  It
> always boots in 8 bpp.

Search XF86Config(4) for information about the DefaultColorDepth entry
that you can put in your XF86Config, or use the -bpp argument to startx.

--
Niall Smart.  Microsoft Suck.  See www.freebsd.org for details.
echo "#define if(x) if(!(x))" >> /usr/include/stdio.h