Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:23:51 +0200 (METDST)
From:      Michael Class <michaelc@tmbbwmc.bbn.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New ATA stuff, questions and comment

> On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Doug wrote:
>
> > 	First a question, namely what is the current state of the ATA
> > drivers in -current? Are they reliable (where "reliable" goes by -current
> > terms obviously)? I finally am in a position to test them with a new
> > workstation that has IDE disks, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I am using the new ATA-drivers for quite some time now. On a home-PC
they work great. On my Laptop (Omnibook 5700) they only work if I
change the code to not switch-on Generic DMA-Support. Basically I
change the code in ata-dma.c::ata_dmainit at the very to NOT switch
on generic DMA-mode even if the drive claims that it could do DMA.
The Notebook has an
"TOSHIBA MK2101MAN/B1.06 D" / piomode=4, dmamode=2, udmamode=1.

The old wd-driver DMA did not work for this machine, but fortunately
it was not switched on by default. This needs to be configurable before
the the new ATA-drivers are made the default!

Otherwise I am very happy with these drivers.

Michael