Date:      Sat, 24 Sep 2011 04:12:21 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <egrosbein@rdtc.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Nenhum_de_Nos <matheus@eternamente.info>
Subject:   Re: Realtek integrated nic problem

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 05:56:00PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> > I have a box using this Realtek nic:
> >
> > re0@pci0:1:0:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x81051019 chip=0x813610ec rev=0x05
> > hdr=0x00
> >     class      = network
> >     subclass   = ethernet
> >
> > but FreeBSD is unable to use it. Its 8.1 pfSense. Newer versions would run
> > it ?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > matheus
> >

> Your card is supported with re(4) driver in 8.2-RELEASE and later versions.

Based on what I can tell his 8.1-based pfSense box detects the card
and binds it to re(4) -- look closely at the first few digits of the
first pciconf line.

Whether or not the card actually **functions properly** in 8.1 is a
different story altogether.  The OP doesn't explain what "unable to use
it" means.  My guess: it's probably a revision of card that 8.1 did not
have proper code for.

As such, I would strongly suggest running 8.2.  If the card doesn't
function correctly in 8.2, there are folks here on the mailing list who
can help with that.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |