Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 05:02:27 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        John <freebsd-questions@i-zone.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how can you say ufs is faster?

John <freebsd-questions@i-zone.demon.co.uk> types:
> In order to compare like with like, set the ufs in fstab to async. This is
> enabled automatically on linux systems but not on freebsd (as far as I
> remember). You do it like this:
> [...]
> I beleive there is a small but non-zero risk of data loss in certain
> situations with this setting, but I have been using it since 2.2.8 and
> haven't had a problem.

Gee, I think you just made Ted's point about the Linux
developers. They've traded system integrity away for performance,
which in my mind is a bad trade. FreeBSD lets you make the choice, and
defaults to the more reliable of the two.

In the spirit of honesty, I understand that Linux now has file system
options available that are designed to be reliable.

	<mike