Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 15:27:12 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "Arnvid Karstad" <arnvid@karstad.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 4.6.2 and aic7899 - fatal trap 12.

From: "Arnvid Karstad" <arnvid@karstad.org>

> Hiya.
>
> We were testing FreeBSD 4.6.2 on one of our sandbox machines that was
> previously running FBSD4.5. After the cvs and additional make's the
> machine now seems to be at tad unstable..
>
> When disk i/o start to run of.. for instance during find / -name *~ it
> just dumps out one nice error msg like this:

> fault virtual address = 0x0
> fault code     = supervisor write, page not present
> instruction pointer code = 0x8:0xc0215293
> stack pointer = 0x10:0xfef98c40
> frame pointer = 0x10:0xfef98c74
> code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor enabled = interupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current proccess = 142 (cvs)
> interupt mask = bio
> trap number = 12
> panic: Page fault
>
> syncing disk....... lotsa numbers.. then rebooots
>
> I've tested the ram and disks extensively with IBM diagnostics tool, and
> didn't find anythig wrong there. (It's an IBM xSeries 342 server btw)
>
> What now? anyone know where to start looking??

Hoo Boy!  I have just been through a week of trouble with similar
symptoms, also since I upgraded to 4.6.2.

1) To be sure that the problem is the same, you should build your kernel
for debugging, and then after a crash you can check, with help from
smarter people than me on this list, where the fault lies.  If that turns
out to be the same is my problem, then there is a patch available which
has made my box stable, for the last 28 hours anyway :)

2) If you are impatient, you could just apply the patch and maybe you are
lucky and it works.  However, I have a feeling that the more experienced
hackers on this list will advice against this option.

Here's a link to an easy to follow article explaining how to build your
kernel with debugging enabled.

Oh, and in the mean time, there is a new port (/usr/ports/devel/gdbmods)
which you will find useful when the time comes to run your stack trace.
Why not load it up so long...

---
Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.