Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:50:57 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Parker Brown <phbrown@charter.net>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, BSDQuestions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: You Seem To Be Undeliverable

On Thursday, 27 September 2001 at 20:09:36 -0700, Parker Brown wrote:
> Usually "reply" gets the address correctly.  What is your correct E-mail
> address?

The Email address is correct.  Read the error message:

> Failed to deliver to 'questions@freebsd.org'
> SMTP module(domain freebsd.org) reports:
>  host hub.freebsd.org says:
>  450 <dc-mx08.cluster1.charter.net>: Helo command rejected: Host not found

HELO is the first part of the ESMTP protocol.  It specifies the name
of the host.  FreeBSD checks that name, and in this case it doesn't
find it:

  === grog@wantadilla (/dev/ttypa) ~ 2 -> nslookup dc-mx08.cluster1.charter.net
  Server:  echunga.lemis.com
  Address:  192.109.197.82

  *** echunga.lemis.com can't find dc-mx08.cluster1.charter.net: Non-existent host/domain

In other words, your mail is "forged": the name it specifies isn't
registered.  Based on the name, I'd guess that this is a problem with
your ISP.  If you can, get them to clean up their act (make sure they
include reverse DNS as well).  Otherwise look for another ISP.

Greg