Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 00:38:03 -0500
From:      "JustinL. Boss" <jlboss@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   backup to /dev/ast0 get Input/output error

This is probably something simple but I can't figure it out. The tape
seams to be working when using mt but when I use tar I get:

mt -f /dev/ast0 status ..

Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x01:X3.22-1983      512 bytes      800      none
---------available modes---------
0:        default              variable       0        none
1:        default              variable       0        none
2:        default              variable       0        none
3:        default              variable       0        none
File Number: 0	Record Number: 0	Residual Count 0

tar -zpcf /dev/ast0 /home
tar: Removing leading / from absolute path names in the archive.
tar (child): can't write to /dev/ast0 : Input/output error

Thanks for your help.