Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 20:18:24 -0700
From:      "Yann Sommer" <yann@yann.de>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Why not stick with [STABLE] [Was: RE: Releases]

Heya all,

I've been following this thread with some extra attention, since I remember
beeing new to FreeBSD and complaining about a dedicated Server I ordered,
running BETA. It is just, as has been mentioned a few times before on this
list, against what other programms use for version naming.
But, in my humble opinion I think the easiest solution has not been
mentioned here before. Why not just suffix the old version description to
stable, like:

4.3-STABLE-BETA
4.3-STABLE-RC
4.3-STABLE-FINAL

or something in that direction. The essential word "STABLE" which gives the
newer users the trust in a system (allthough it's kind of stupid after
knowing the exact naming, but heh, nobody gets born with all knowledge ;),
and at the same time sticks with the naming BSD users are used to.

Just my 2 cents,

--Frei