Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 16:01:01 -0600
From:      "scott mcclellan" <scottmcclellan@starband.net>
To:        "'Nigel Soon'" <ns@sundive.homeunix.net>, <freebsd-questions@FREEBSD.org>, <freebsd-newbies@FREEBSD.org>
Subject:   A huge THANK YOU!!!!!

Dear Nigel,

Right off the bat, I want to thank you for (humiliating me) solving my
problem. No I'm not humiliated, just ticked off that I hadn't thought of
what I was doing wrong first.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm one of those people who are too used
to having the computer (Windows) do everything for me. Once upon a time
(about 24 years ago) we had a TRS-80 and HAD to deal with DOS - how I
long for those days again, because unfortunately I became Windows
brainwashed.

I had no inkling as to what an ISO image was, or what it was for, or how
to use it. So yes, *cringe* I just burned the ISO image 'file' onto the
CD. Amazing what can happen when you know what you're doing.

Everything looks as if it is loading okay now. Oops, no not everything.
It's telling me that it can't get 'compat4X' and 'port distributions'
loaded because it has run out of room. Hmmm. I guess it's time for me to
putter around some more, but I'm huge steps ahead of where I was 2 hours
ago (and 3 days of banging my head). I don't mind puttering, heck I got
my CD-ROM connected properly now (darn computer store techies) after
reading through some of the FAQs and letters here. Yeah, it's
time-consuming, but I can honestly say I feel like I've learned a great
deal already - unfortunately, not about FreeBSD yet :) But hey, it all
counts.

Was there anything about ISO imaging anywhere that I just missed or
slipped over without actually reading? I didn't notice anything on the
FreeBSD site or handbook.

Nigel, Staples will not be happy with you - they lost a sale of about 50
floppies :) I was just about to head out when I got your e-mail.

Again thank you, thank you, thank you. Time to use the rest of the
handbook now and start solving the next onslaught of issues.

And thanks to the rest that sent their thoughts, suggestions, and
condolences :) Just knowing someone else out there was in the same boat
at one time sometimes is a help.

Best regards,

Scott McClellan

p.s.
to whomever suggested burning at a slower speed, I did try that (albeit
by 'burning' the file rather than 'opening' it), so needless to say -
but I'll say it anyway - it didn't work, only slower  :)